The Alpen Schuhplattlers adults and kids are working hard on learning new German dances. Stop by the Teutonia Männerchor (857 Phineas St, Pittsburgh PA) and check us out! Practices are on Tuesdays at 7 pm for kids and 8 pm for adults. Families are especially welcome. It’s a great way to learn to dance and explore German culture and traditions!
What’s in store for 2018? Our 54. Stiftungsfest will be held on Saturday, April 21st at the Teutonia Männerchor. Join the Schuhplattlers for an evening of dancing with music by Mädel Jäger. All are welcome!
We’re also participating in the 2. Gebietsfest of the Vier Länder Gebiet on June 15-16. This mini-convention will be hosted by the Altoona Almrausch Schuhplattlers and draws dancers from Pennsylvania, Ohio, New York, Ontario, and more.
We’ll be performing at the Teutonia’s Maifest and Oktoberfests. And of course, we’ll be performing at Oktoberfests and other festivals around Western Pennsylvania. Stop back often for the most up-to-date list of events.
Kick off the holiday season with the Alpen Schuhplattlers at the Harmony Weihnachtsmarkt, Western Pennsylvania’s finest German Christmas market! Come watch our dancing and stay for German music, German food, holiday vendors, museum exhibits, and Harmony’s famous glühwein. Performance times are:
- Saturday November 11 @ 12 pm and 4:30 pm
- Sunday November 12 @ 12 pm and 3:15 pm
Join us in the fest tent for a traditional German celebration!
218 Mercer St.
Harmony, Pa 16037
For more information, visit harmonymuseum.org/Christmas-Market.html.
Schuhplattling is all about tanzen und springen — in English, dancing and leaping! Our male dancers jump into the air and slap their legs to show their athleticism. Meanwhile, our female dancers spin until their skirts blossom out into beautiful bells. Watch this in action at the Alpen Schuhplattlers’ upcoming performances!
- Our Lady of the Angels Oktoberfest. September 30, 2017 @ 7:00 pm. Teamster Hall (Lawrenceville), 4701 Butler St., Pgh., Pa 15201.
- Scott Twp. Oktoberfest. October 7, 2017 @ 1:00 pm. Scott Township Municipal Park, Park Drive, Scott Township, PA 15106
- Most Holy Name Oktoberfest. October 14, 2017 @ 7:30 pm. Most Holy Name Parish Hall (Troy Hill), Pittsburgh, PA.
- Teutonia Männerchor Oktoberfests. September 30, October 7, October 14, and October 21, 2017. (Members and guests only.)
Ready for fun and Gemütlichkeit? Here are our upcoming September performances:
- Friday, September 15, Pennsylvania Bavarian Oktoberfest in Canonsburg, PA @ 9:00 pm
- Saturday, September 16, Hofbrauhaus Pittsburgh Oktoberfest @ 2:00 pm & 3:15 pm
- Sunday, September 17, Pennsylvania Bavarian Oktoberfest in Canonsburg, PA @ 12:30 pm
Saturday, September 23, Oakdale Borough Oktoberfest @ 6:00 pm
- Sunday, September 24, Mt. Pleasant Glass Festival @ 1:00 pm
Come to the Teutonia Männerchor’s Public Oktoberfest on September 8th, 9th, and 10th. The Alpen Schuhplattlers are dancing in the Fest Tent at 8PM on Friday, Sept. 8th and 3PM and 8PM on Saturday, Sept. 9th.
Don’t forget to stop by our food booth for delicious potato pancakes!
857 Phineas St.
Pittsburgh, PA 15212
- German Alliance Luncheon, August 26, 12:00 pm at Teutonia Männerchor
- World Kaleidoscope, August 27, 2:00 pm at the Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh – Main (Oakland), 4400 Forbes Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA 15213. We’re performing in the Quiet Reading Room on the first floor.
- Erie German Heritage Festival, September 2-3 at St. Nick’s Grove, 5131 Old French Rd., Erie, PA 16509. Performance times: Sat. 1:30pm & 4:00pm; Sun. 1:00pm & 3:30pm. This fun festival features German beer, vendors, food, kid’s activities, and music … plus the Schuhplattlers! Make it a day trip and join us under the fest tent.
(Photo courtesy of Stephen Hargreaves)